There are a lot of ways you can get involved in GSU. First of all, you can sign a GSU authorization card, affirming that you are a member of the union.
From November 2016 to May 2017 we ran a card-campaign for union-recognition – collecting signed authorization cards from prospective members of the bargaining unit, to file for a union election. On May 8th we filed authorization cards from a majority of graduate teaching and research assistants to the National Labor Relations Board for an election recognizing our union. A favorable majority of those voting in the election will enable GSU to bargain a contract – we will then be looking to elect a bargaining committee, that will bargain a contract and bring it to the membership for a vote.
We currently await the decision of the NLRB regional director about our petition to hold a union election this fall. So, contact your departmental organizer, and sign the following petition to vote yes for a union! Or contact us if you have any questions or would like to discuss the campaign.
There are many more opportunities to get involved:
- You can subscribe to our newsletter.
- You can get involved in one of our campaigns.
- You can join the organizing committee directly or one of its subcommittees. You can become a departmental organizer.
- You can improve this website.
- You can sign up to Volunteer some time.
- You can get involved with other groups we’re affiliated with, like the American Federation of Teachers, the Illinois Federation of Teachers, the American Association of University Professors, or the Coalition of Graduate Employee Unions.
- You can do solidarity work with other groups in Chicago.
- You can let us know what working conditions are like in your part of the university, or do some research on what it’s like for others.
Above all, you can help create the union that you want to see exist.
Or else you can fill out this handy form, and we’ll get in touch with you as soon as we get a chance. If you have general inquiries, see our contact page.