The Grad Workers Run This Union
Our union is run democratically by UChicago graduate workers, for UChicago graduate workers.
The union’s highest decision making body is a General Members Meeting (GMM). GMMs are called at least once per quarter so members can make democratic decisions about the union’s priorities and direction. All graduate workers are welcome to attend GMMs and participate in decision making.
The Steering Committee is a secondary decision making body, consisting of the elected officers of the union along with representatives from each committee and a UChicago Labor Council Liaison. The Steering Committee manages the day-to-day administration of the union and coordinates regular GMMs. Decisions made by the Steering Committee can be overruled by the general membership at any GMM.
The following Steering Committee Officers are currently serving a leadership term through the end of Winter Quarter 2023, or when a new Constitution and Bylaws have been approved by membership (whichever comes first):
- Co-Presidents: Neomi Rao (Political Science) and Andrew Seber (History)
- General Secretary: Natalie Farrell (Music)
- Communications Secretary: Shannon Sheu (Geophysical Sciences)
- Financial Secretary: Christopher Wilson (Mathematics)
- Humanities Divisional Rep: Naomi Kurtz (Linguistics)
- Social Sciences Divisional Rep: Carol Iglesias (History) and Elaine Colligan (Political Science)
- Crown Divisional Rep: Brianna Suslovic (Social Welfare)
The positions of Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, and Divinity Divisional Representatives remain vacant. If you are interested in filling any of these positions, please contact the Steering Committee (email@example.com).